Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Newest Book Additions


 
So, this week, after we did our deep cleaning on Monday, we decided to check out the Lifeline that has just had a book shop added to the upstairs floor.  Well, we did have fun. 
Erin was playing hide and seek amidst the bookshelves while I browsed, and these four books, among others, were my purchases.

The Ultimate Treasure Hunt by Kevin Dedmon
I love this book, which I read about 2 years ago when we first moved to Toowoomba, and I've been looking for it since.   It talks about God's ultimate treasure being people and how when we are sensitive to His heart and start asking for clues, He will show us people around us who need prayer, encouragement and salvation.  Kevin encourages people to sit down and ask God for a list of 'clues' and then to go out, find the person and share God's heart with them. 
This book inspired me to lead our young adults group out and we went 'treasure hunting' about three times with great results!   I really would love to get back into this, and testimonies of others are one of the best ways to overcome our fears.



Be Angry But Don't Blow It by Lisa Bevere
I haven't actually read it yet, but I love the way Lisa writes, so practically and with little gems typed up in a box on the side of pages.  With her book 'Fight Like a Girl', I wrote out a number of these snippets into a journal and decorated them. 








 The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen.   I haven't managed to crack this one open yet but it looks like a fun and easy read for a car trip.   The back reads. . .
Banished from the only home she's ever known, Mariah Aubrey hides herself away in an abandoned gatehouse on a distant relative's estate.  There she supports herself and her loyal servant the only way she knows how - by writing novels in secret.  
It sounds like something I would do, and I love books set in this time period (Jane Austen.)  I read a similar book last year and it was lovely.


 Bruce Wilkinson's Secrets of the Vine.  I peeped into this little treasure while nursing Erin to sleep this morning and from what I've read it has already illuminated to me parts of Scripture that I didn't understand and helped me to identify areas in my life where God wants me to bear fruit.  It's full of beautiful illustrations both verbal and sketches and I'm thinking of lying down again soon with the baby for her afternoon nap and having a 'read rest' as she has kept me up a lot the past three nights, and if I don't I'm not sure that I'll make it to tonight's prayer meeting.  
It's also a very timely find as at Christmas last year my sister made us all gifts that God had shown her.  For the rest of my family she made sculptures, I've got a picture below, but for Stephen and I she made a tree, saying that it was a year for us to bear fruit.  I've been struggling with what that means, other than having babies, which I'm not planning on this year anyway, and this book is helping it become clear.  Perhaps you'll hear from me about this again next week, until then, please link up your book finds below!
Anna didn't know that I had been asking Stephen
to make me a wire tree for Christmas the week before hand! 



You can see more of Anna's art work here



No comments:

Post a Comment