Tuesday 16 August 2016

Small Beginnings

You know, when your kids are little and doing 'little' things like drawing and painting and cutting and gluing, making toy farms with paddle pop sticks, writing stories and letters and playing, lots of playing, and they want to do those things a lot, much more than school work, you wonder if they'll ever get an education and 'succeed'. Let me assure you, they will, if you let them develop those talents and help them nurture them.

These are some of the gifts of our older girls, all now adults, doing what they were good at as children, but in an adult setting.



The fence was built and photo taken by daughter no 3, the picture drawn by daughter no 2, the blog (and books) written by daughter no 1.

All that to say, if you are in the trenches with the 'everyday' stuff that doesn't seem that interesting or outstanding, don't despair and don't overlook the 'little' things your kids are good at. One day, it might be their bread and butter - it is for all three of them, to various degrees.   

With three older girls (all adults) and two younger girls (aged 7 and 3), I have the unique privilege of being able to look back and look forward.  I have seen how the 'little' things my older girls did back then have now turned into life passions.    And I can see that the 'little' things my younger girls are now doing could easily turn into their life passions, if I keep encouraging them and facilitating their learning. 

But, I am still tripping up over Duplo, drowning in endless pieces of paper and cardboard and egg cartons, still finding homes for toys, helping someone set up yet another farm/train track/car track/tea set/doll's house/zoo/teddy hospital, and sometimes I despair at the mess and the chaos.   And then I remember those small beginnings of the older girls and I am encouraged to be patient again, with the little things, the messy little things and the messy little creatures who live in 'my' house.  And I reminded that they will not always be here, but will be out there, doing 'big' things. 

So, let us rejoice, as God does, in small beginnings and enjoy these days. 

Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin.....
Zechariah 4:10


Linking up at Titus 2 Tuesdays


No comments:

Post a Comment