Saturday 15 October 2016

When Someone Reads Your Mail

Years ago, when we first started learning about the value of spiritual gifts and receiving words of knowledge, my husband adopted a phrase he heard, probably from John Wimber - 'when someone reads your mail'. 

Mail is pretty private, really, when it comes right down to it, whether it's a personal letter or a bank statement, an invitation or a bill.   We don't really appreciate someone reading our mail, do we?  I don't.   

The contents of our mail can say a lot about us, and I guess that's why police and other investigators use it as evidence in courts of law, and why we can use it to prove our identity or facts about us.

But sometimes, just sometimes, God lets someone read our mail.     And if it is God, and they are listening to Him, and careful to obey Him, those sometimes can be powerful turning points in our lives.  

I like to keep my private stuff mostly private, and pick who I share it with.   Maybe you're the same.  So, I don't always appreciate God telling someone else what is going on in my life.    But on those occasions where He has, and where that person has been brave enough to say so, and mature enough to handle it well, I've been blessed and set free from something. 

You see, hidden stuff is the devil's playground and he loves to mess with the stuff going on in our heads and hearts.    We only get deeper and deeper into our mess when we keep that stuff hidden.   His plan is to mess, destroy, steal, kill and to keep us in his playground.  

And God likes to expose hidden stuff, not to hurt or shame us, but to free us from the devil's playground, to be playing and living somewhere that's light and safe and nourishing, and encouraging others to do the same. 

Which is why words of knowledge and wisdom can be very powerful tools in God's toolbox, and ours, to help people get free of stuff. 

One day, someone 'read my mail' and prayed for me in a way that was much more effective than anything anyone else was trying.  He saw what was going on in my life, its source (judgement from those over me) and how to pray for it.   I went from being able to barely breathe or function, and falling asleep at 11am every morning, to functioning normally, almost instantly.  

Another time a friend 'read my mail' and saw behind the obvious problem to the real issue, led me to a place of repentance, and once again, I was instantly healed.  

These are just two examples of times when God has allowed someone to read my mail and where they have listened and obeyed.  One time, the affliction was from an outer source; the other time, from my own bitterness and angst.   In one case, it was from a friend; in another case, from someone I'd never met.    

And there have been many times in private conversation with a trusted friend where God has done the same thing - insight into the pain behind the obvious, and words from God on how to move forward.

How healing is a timely word. 

He came that we might have life, and live it abundantly, not in the devil's playground, but in a playground built for us.    He came for us to get free and stay free. 




The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.  John 10:10

Linking up with Five Minute Friday - a writing party happening every Friday where we write for five minutes on a given prompt.  This week's prompt is 'mail'. 

2 comments:

  1. I was totally actually going to write this based on what Dad said but then ended up doing the one about the cards, so I'm glad you did it instead. (I couldn't be bothered logging out from being Stephen!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete