Friday 1 April 2022

I CAN'T DO COFFEE

I can't do coffee.  I can't drink coffee, sadly.  I love it.  Love the smell of it, but I turn into a cot case fairly quickly if I actually drink it.   So I don't.   And I try not to envy those who can.  

I'm once again joining with the writers of Five Minute Friday, where we are given a theme word each Friday, where we write for five minutes and resist the urge to edit or tidy it up.  

This week's theme word is COFFEE. 

So, I thought I'd come up with something clever about coffee and here it is.  

























So many times in my life, I've had to come out from fear.   Even in the last twelve months, I've had to face fear head on, mostly buried fear, but it was still driving my daily choices and crippling relationship and restricting my children.    My mother's fears created so many problems for us growing up, and well into our 20s and 30s, and I've had to face one fear after another, so as not to continue to be restricted by them.  I have conquered a lot of practical fears, but there were still plenty more to go.   

Really, the only way we come out from fear is to face it, though we have to do more than face it.    We actually need to get prayer for it.   We need people to help us see it, feel it, face it, then pray for us as we face it.   

Then we have to choose to be strong and courageous, and do it afraid, as Joyce Meyer says.  We can't wait for the feeling of fear to disappear.    We have to do what we've been frightened of, in God's strength, in God's way, in God's timing, and He'll back us.    One of my daughters was facing something very difficult a couple of years back and asking the Lord why He wasn't rescuing her.  His answer was basically this:  'YOU step out, YOU draw the line in the sand, YOU face your fears, YOU say enough, and I'll back YOU, I'll be here for YOU, I'll empower YOU.  But this is what needs doing, and YOU have to do it.'   

Fear is often based in trauma, sometimes trauma that's years old or very recent, so it's tied to real experience.   So there's no point saying to a fearful person, 'It doesn't matter, it's not real, it won't happen again'.     It was real then and there are no guarantees, and we need to not dismiss fear so readily.   We also need to be sensible about not putting ourselves in harm's way again.  

But we also need to not stay there, in that place of fear.   We need to come out from under it, be strong and courageous, in Him.     When He says it's time to be strong and courageous, then we can know that He's also ready to back us.   

God told Joshua to be strong and courageous.    I've always wondered about that.   Why does God tell fearful people not to be afraid?   It's always seemed like an oxymoron to me.   The Scripture is full of commands to not be fearful.   Jesus said it many times, as did others.   

But He does it because fear is more than a feeling, it's often a choice, as I've discovered in the last week.   And being brave is a choice too.    And as we make that choice to face it, to be strong, we are made strong, by Him.   

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”     Joshua 1:8,9

If Joshua did not come out from under whatever fears were holding him, he could not have led God's people into their promised land, their God-given purposes.   When we come out from fear, we empower those under us to move on as well.  

He gives strength to the weary,

And to him who lacks might He increases power.

Though youths grow weary and tired,

And vigorous young men stumble badly,

Yet those who wait for the Lord

Will gain new strength;

They will mount up with wings like eagles,

They will run and not get tired,

They will walk and not become weary.  Isa 40:29-31


I love this song from Chris Tomlin 

Fear not!

The Lord God is with us

Be strong, take heart

The Lord He fights for us

Hold on; our God

Is a mighty warrior

God, He is faithful



10 comments:

  1. Wow: 'fear is more than a feeling, it's often a choice' -that's wisdom I need to ponder over.
    Thank you for your coffee inspired words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Liz. I need to ponder it as well. It's all very relevant for me at the moment. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. This is one of the best things I have ever read (or heard) about handling fear.

    Thank you for your homesty, humility & vulnerability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Barb. I'm glad it was helpful. It's a very current lesson for me so it helps to write about that. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I have very little fear,
    and that's not idle talk,
    but those who know me say I'm near
    to 'dumber than a rock.'
    I simply can't imagine bad
    consequence to what I do,
    and though the paradigm looks mad
    I have to say it's brought me through
    my life unto this signal point
    when everything looks bleak;
    the transposed past is an adjoint
    to my 'mortal illness of the week',
    and thus I whistle happy on,
    not believing I'll be gone.

    There's a nod there to the old 'disease of the week' medical teleplays. I rather miss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great poem, Andrew. My chronically ill daughter fears very little now, compared to most people her age, because she's stared death in the face so many times, with no future guarantees. It gives you a much healthier perspective on life, I think. Thanks for sharing, as always.

      Delete
  4. What is a "cot case?" I'm sorry that you like it and can't drink it. I understand that completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, if I drink coffee, I have a massive migraine within an hour, then find myself in the loo for hours the next day, so it's totally not worth it. I'm a chai latte girl. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. so true that, we need to figure out how to face our fears for sure, and knowing God has our back helps tons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time God exposes a fear, I know it's time to face it and there's grace to face it, but it's still pretty tough going. I've had some amazing prayer warriors praying me through it. That sure helps. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete