Friday 3 June 2022

THE DANGER OF RESENTMENT

One of the jokes made about our country, Australia, is that there is danger lurking everywhere in the form of poisonous snakes, spiders, sharks, jellyfish, octopii, giant crocs, and that even our cute kangaroos and koalas can be dangerous at times.   And it's true.  We seem to have more than our fair share of hidden, lurking dangers. 













https://www.planetdeadly.com/animals/australias-dangerous-animals


Tourists, and foreigners who settle here, are genuinely concerned and fair enough,  though it's only fair to point out that these creatures generally only attack those who venture into their domain, even if  'their' domain is one of your shoes.   

Joining with other writers from Five Minute Friday.

Today's prompt is DANGER

What I find just as concerning is the danger of the resentment that resides in many people's hearts, including my own.  

It's so toxic and destructive, but in a hidden, lurking way that's hard to recognise and hard to deal with because it feels so justified.  

What is resentment?  The sense of injustice or unfairness that comes from carrying a responsibility that someone else should be carrying, at least partially; the sense of injustice when we've been misunderstood, mistreated, misrepresented; the sense of unfairness over missing out on a position or promotion that should have been ours; the sense of unfairness of being treated as less than for any reason.  These are just a few examples.

Like the warning signs of encountering a dangerous animal, resentment has warning signs: criticism, offence, envy, jealousy, touchiness, apathy, tardiness and more.  

For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.  Luke 6:45

The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure.   Who can understand it?  Jer 17:9

Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.

See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.  Ps 139:23,24

I need to heed these warning signs in my own life and ask the Lord to show me what those hidden, lurking resentments are so I can be free of them.

I wonder if Joseph felt resentment towards the cupbearer who was released from prison and proceeded to forget Joseph for two whole years.   I wonder if David felt resentment at being pursued by King Saul for years.    I wonder if Rachel felt resentment that her sister was able to have babies when she was apparently barren?  I wonder if Leah felt resentment that Jacob loved Rachel more than her.  

And yet they had a choice, even in their seemingly impossible and unchanging situations.   They had a choice to look beyond what was missing or lacking or unchanging or unjust, and get God's perspective on it, to understand that His power was greater than their powerlessness to change anything. 

In each of their situations, God had a plan - but each of them were limited by time and a finite ability to understand what was beyond their immediate vision and circumstances.   

The Psalms often give voice to David's struggle with resentment and injustice and finding God's perspective on his life and purpose.   So many times, David starts in a dark place and ends in reminding himself, and us, of God's superior power and purpose and timing.

I love these passages from Psalm 73 that show the progression of his thinking:  

When I thought how to understand this,

It was too painful for me - 

Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I understood their end.   Ps 73:16,17  

Thus my heart was grieved, and I was vexed in my mind.

I was so foolish and ignorant; I was like a beast before You.

Nevertheless I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand.

You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.

Whom have I in heaven but You? 

And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.

My flesh and my heart fail;

But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.   Ps 73:21-26

And that's where resentment dies - at His feet - where we exchange it for His truth, His perspective, His plans, His purposes, His hope, His timing. 

So will we, will I, heed the danger signs that indicate that resentment might be lurking in a hidden place, lurking like a stone fish in the sand or a spider in a shoe?  













https://www.snowys.com.au/blog/spider-safety-what-everyone-should-know/

Am I happy to keep entertaining resentment, nursing it, feeding it, because it feels justified, but denying that its poison will be as destructive as the Word says it is?

Or will I feed instead on His faithfulness and commit my way to Him and then wait patiently?  


Do not fret because of evildoers, nor be envious of the workers of iniquity.

For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.

Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.

Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass.

He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday.

Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him............................  Ps 37:1-7


One of my favourite songs when I need to wait patiently for Him.  


I will wait for You

I will wait for You

When these mountains won't move

Still I'll wait here for You


I will take Your hand

I will take Your hand

When I don't understand

Still I'll take Your hand


For You know

My lying down and

You know

My rising up and

Where can

I go that You won't always be

There waiting for me......


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these thoughts! Resentment is a big danger, and you have got me thinking about a situation in my own life. I love the words from Psalm 73. Visiting from FMF #3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I got you thinking. :) The Lord has had me thinking on it for weeks now, and requiring me to surrender it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Yes resentment and her twin sister, Bitterness, are evil and insidious in getting into our lives and head space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are, Fiona. So insidious, which is why the warning signs are helpful things to look out for. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Some say that I should rant and rage
    about a life gone so unfair,
    resent the hour and the page
    and the God Who put me there.
    Some say pain bestows the right
    to imagine mote in God's own eye,
    and in the bitter dead of night
    curse the Lord my God and die.
    Some say these and are annoyed
    that I merely shrug and smile,
    thinking joy is thus employed
    as a sort of stealthy guile
    that to them is tres perverse,
    making me look better, and them worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it, Andrew!! I had to settle for myself many years ago whether God is indeed good when so much in our lives isn't, so I can relate to the shrug and the smile. Makes some people mad though ;) Thanks for stopping by and blessing me with your poetry again.

      Delete
  4. What a helpful reminder today. I was challenged by your words...but, must admit, I was admit "shaken" by your photos. Especially that spider. Going into a boot. I'll be checking my shoes for months now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was helpful, Jennifer. My blog posts are simply what the Lord is challenging me about. In Australia, our delightful and venomous funnel web spiders love to hide in shoes, so we learn to check them before we put our feet in. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. So true, resentment is a big danger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a big danger, Cindy. I didn't realise how much until recently. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Your words moved me deeply today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my words were helpful. The Lord has really challenged lately me about resentment and its effect in my life and the lives of others. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete