Friday 29 July 2022

FATHER, NOT MY WILL, BUT YOURS BE DONE

Joining up with other writers at Five Minute Friday.   Today's prompt is BE.  

When you're on a journey to wellness, either in body or soul, then you have to be careful about some things that perhaps you didn't recognise the importance of before. 

These are some of the things the Lord has taught me to be, over the last twelve months.    So I tell myself these things again, and hope they will be a blessing to you as well.   

And many of these lessons were learnt here, at one of my favourite places to just be.  





















Be kind.   Everyone is going through something, or has been through something.   Kindness softens those walls of resistance and cynicism like nothing else can. 

And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.  Eph 4:32


Be happy.  Happiness does not depend on ideal circumstances - it's a choice.  One of the most famous quotes of this last year is from Nightbirde in her audition on America's Got Talent.   'You can't wait until life isn't hard any more before you decide to be happy'.  (start listening at 5.05min)  We can choose to rejoice in all circumstances, like Paul.  

Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.... Phil 4:11


Be grateful, for even the little things.   On the rough days, it's so easy to only see what's wrong and what's missing.    You have to be intentional about thanking God for things, like Ann Voskamp writes about in her book, One Thousand Gifts.   

I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.  Ps 9:1


Be real.  Pretending you're okay when you're not is so damaging.   It stunts your growth and blocks your healing.   We don't have to cry on everyone's shoulder, but you gotta be real with someone safe, so that those wounds are exposed and healed.     Covering them means we're just bleeding on the inside.  We have to get real with God and ourselves and get healed.   

Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts, and in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.  Ps 51:6


Be brave.  Getting healed takes walking 'backwards through doorways of pain', as Joyce Meyer says in her book, Beauty for Ashes.   It takes guts to face, yet again, the pain that you've buried for a long time, so God can heal those wounds.   But He does if we let Him.

Search me, O God, and know my heart;  try me, and know my anxieties;

and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.   Ps 139:23,24


Be ready, to own your sin, your fault, your part in something.   Be ready to respond to what He shows you.   I've learnt that God is very ready with His mercy to forgive and cleanse and redeem, but He requires truth in us first.   

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.     If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.  1 John 1:8-10


Be aware of what God is up to - in you, in others, out in the world, in your home.   Pay attention, and ask Him to give you discernment and wisdom.   And He will because He loves to.

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.   James 1:5


Be diligent.   If you want to change your life, it requires a re-setting of mindsets, habits, routines, defaults, etc.   It takes diligence to replace these old things with healthier ones.  

The soul of a lazy man desires, and has nothing; but the soul of the diligent shall be made rich.  Prov 13:4


Be careful who and what you come into agreement with.    There is power in agreement, and if we agree with something to keep the 'peace' or be accepted, we are giving it a powerful place in our lives.

Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.  Prov 13:20  


Be guarded - yes, it is okay to be guarded and to have healthy boundaries.

Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life.  Prov 4:23


Be bold enough to speak the truth in love.   We need to love someone enough to tell them the truth, even if it means we risk losing them for a time.   

Therefore, putting away lying, “Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbour,” for we are members of one another.   Eph 4:25 


Be still.   When you don't know what else to do, when you're 'stuck', simply be still before Him.    Don't demand, just wait on Him, for as long as it takes, with an expectation of His goodness.  

Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with his mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me [ceased from fretting].  Ps 131:2


Be quiet.   We need to get quiet in His presence and listen to His still, small voice that is louder than the storm.   He says we'll know His voice, but we have to shut out the other noises to hear it.  

...................but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.    So it was, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. Suddenly a voice came to him............................  1 Kings 19:12-13


Be hopeful.   Hope is such a powerful thing, as I'm learning.    If we have hope in His goodness and His purposes, His unchanging nature, and His ability to make it happen, then it anchors our soul in the storm.   

My soul, wait only upon God and silently submit to Him; for my hope and expectation are from Him.  Ps 62:5


And all of that is to this end, in the words of Jesus Himself:   

“Father.........................not My will, but Yours, be done.”  Luke 22:42


This is a beautiful song, from CityAlight


As Jesus walked, so I shall walk

Held by Your same unchanging love

Be still my soul

Oh, lift your voice and pray

Father not my will but Yours be done



6 comments:

  1. Thank you for these powerful reminders of how to live well in Christ. I LOVE your picture. It gives me peace just imagining being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Fab Four sang it, Let It Be,
    that there's gonna be an answer,
    but that's my wrong barking tree
    when I'm up to here with cancer.
    There's too much that's still to do,
    and I'm no good at sitting still;
    best to do it, and get through,
    and hope it jibes with Holy Will.
    If it doesn't, well, too bad,
    I always had a rebel soul,
    and it doesn't make me sad
    that I might have to pay the toll
    for not 'be-ing', but just fighting,
    'cause one fries quick when struck by lightning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great lessons - thanks for sharing! I like the song too! Visiting from FMF #7.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant thoughts - thank you
    Just stopped by from FMF #12

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. Some very timely reminders.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be kind. Everyone is going through something, or has been through something. Kindness softens those walls of resistance and cynicism like nothing else can.

    And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Eph 4:32

    That has stuck out to me this week too. We do really each have some battle to face, and it is good to be humble and empathetic. Sometimes sympathetic too. <3 to you this day! Just BE all those things! Jennifer, FMF Neighbor

    ReplyDelete