Wednesday 15 June 2022

A LIFE WELL LIVED

 Today, I watched the funeral service, online, of a dear friend.  

Her passing was sudden, though she'd fought cancer for over ten years.

She leaves behind four adult children and two grandchildren, plus three sons in law, and other family, including her sister Janine, who was my friend in late primary school.   I have fond memories of our times together.   

Anne wasn't my closest friend and I wasn't hers, and that's okay.   She was still a dear friend and I will miss her a great deal.  I know two of my older girls will miss her too, because she blessed their lives in very meaningful ways.  
















This is the Anne I knew.   Even in tough times, and she had plenty of those, she knew how to smile and how to bless people.    She was strong and kind and funny and compassionate.   

She was wise and resilient.  Even in the midst of much difficulty, she always had something kind to share, always wanted you to feel loved, always tried to find a way to encourage you, even if you were the one to start the conversation to encourage her.   

Her family knew her differently to me, obviously.    I listened as three of her children, her sister and her closest friend spoke of what she meant to them.  I listened as they said goodbye, through tears they could no longer hold back.   And I cried with them, for different reasons I'm sure, but mostly I cried for them.    I will miss her, but not like they will.   

What came through in all their messages today, was how much her love for Jesus shone through, and how it was His love and her faith in Him that enabled her to love others the way she did. 

I saw this quote tonight and thought it was very apt.   




















She wasn't rich, or 'successful' the way the world measures it, but my goodness, the love that her family knew because of her, and the love they shared for her today, is the greatest success.    She lived a life of significance, and her legacy will live on, in her children and grandchildren, but also in the many lives she touched, including mine.    She really did live a life of love.  

I didn't get to see her in person very often.   We didn't talk every week or even every month, but when we did, it was always a blessing to me.    

In my last message to her, I shared a song by Matt Redman, Mended, that had touched me and that I felt led to share.   I didn't realise she was only 'one step away from home'.    She really is mended now, but my goodness, we will all miss her in different ways, for different reasons.  

I long for the day when we can join her in her mended state.   I'm so glad she's finally mended, but I'm sad for me, and for her family.   

But, what a glorious hope we have, that this life is not all there is, that death is not the end, that Jesus has made the way, indeed become the way, for us to meet again, in a place where there will be no more goodbyes.  

Jesus said, "I go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.  And where I go you know, and the way you know.”  Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”   Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.   John 14:2-6

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.  ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!”   Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”  He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End.  Revelation 21:3-6

Goodbye, Anne, till we meet again.   

"If I had only known the last time would be the last time, I would have put off all the things I had to do................. "  (Scars in Heaven, by Casting Crowns)

No comments:

Post a Comment