Thursday 11 August 2022

TRUTHS TO HANG ONTO WHEN OVERWHELMED

Recently, I made an acrostic for the word OVERWHELMED.  It was my response to a friend's late-night suggestion to write poetry, because there were no words for what was going on in my head.   

It reminds me that Jesus is at the right hand of the Father, interceding for us, and that the Spirit also intercedes for us.  

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.    And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.  Romans 8:26,27 

It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.   Romans 8:34

What an incredibly comforting truth that Jesus intercedes for us at our Father's side, and that the Spirit Himself intercedes for us, with our spirits.   

The only place to go when we're overwhelmed is to the Rock. 

Hear my cry, O God;

Attend to my prayer.

From the end of the earth I will cry to You,

When my heart is overwhelmed;

Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  Ps 61:1,2

The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.   Ps 18:2


So, now I'll put some verses with the lines from this acrostic.  














Only - only You can make sense of this, Lord, and restore Shalom

I will hear what God the Lord will speak, for He will speak peace To His people and to His saints; but let them not turn back to folly.  Ps 85:8  


Verity - truth, You require truthfulness

Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,

and in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.  Ps 51:6


Everything - everything is in Your hands

Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and your right hand delivers me.  Ps 138:7


Rock - You are my Rock in the storm

My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him.

He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense;

I shall not be moved.  Ps 62:5,6  


Willing - You are willing and able 

Then Jesus, moved with compassion, stretched out His hand and touched him, and said to him, “I am willing; be cleansed.”  Mark 1:41 


Help -  You are my very present help

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Therefore we will not fear..............  Ps 46:1,2  


Establish - You strengthen and establish me

But may the God of all grace, who called [g]us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.   1 Peter 5:10 


Look - I will keep looking to You

They looked to Him and were radiant, And their faces were not ashamed.  Ps 34:5  


Mercy - Your mercy meets the truth You reveal

But You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, Longsuffering and abundant in mercy and truth.  Ps 86:15


El Shaddai - You are El Shaddai, more than enough

For El Shaddai has done great things for me, and holy is His name.  Luke 1:49  


Daily - daily Your mercies are new and ready for me

Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not.  

They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.

“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,

“Therefore I hope in Him!”  Lamentations 3:22-24  


One of my favourite songs, a prayer song, from Don Moen, and some encouraging verses as well.   


No comments:

Post a Comment