Saturday 14 January 2023

HALF EMPTY, HALF FULL?

I'm writing for Five Minute Friday and today's prompt is RECEIVE

Are you a glass half-empty or a glass half-full kind of person?












photo credit:    https://caroldavidson.com/is-the-glass-half-full-or-half-empty/


Have you ever been asked that question or asked yourself that question? 

I wonder what Martha was?    

She was full of busyness, serving, doing, working, organising.  

Mary wasn't.   It seems she was shirking her responsibilities, just sitting at Jesus' feet, doing nothing.

But it was Mary whose glass was getting filled.    

But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.    Luke 10:42

There's nothing wrong with working and serving and loving, but when we don't receive first, we miss out.   It's occurred to me for a long time that the ones who received the most from Jesus during His time on earth, were the ones who came empty, desperate, aware of their need.  

Those who were full of their own ability, righteousness, success, beliefs - they weren't able to receive.   

Our Father is an extravagant and capable Giver.

Maybe your earthly father wasn't generous with his time or resources.   

Maybe he wasn't able to give.

But God is different.    God is a generous Father, a giving Father, a filling Father. 

He's so much more than even the best earthly Dad.  

He's Elohim, Jehovah Jireh, El Roi (the God who sees) - Father.

And His desire is to fill us to overflowing, to meet our every need.  

I love these verses from John 1.

For out of His fullness [the superabundance of His grace and truth] we have all received grace upon grace [spiritual blessing upon spiritual blessing, favour upon favour, and gift heaped upon gift].    For the Law was given through Moses, but grace [the unearned, undeserved favour of God] and truth came through Jesus Christ.  John 1:16,17 AMP

There's nothing lacking in God's affections and intentions towards us.  Just as importantly, there's nothing lacking in His ability to give and fill and meet our every need. 

But do we come empty, to receive, or do we come to Him like Martha - busy and full of what we can do, what we can bring to the relationship?  

Is that why so many of us spend so much of our lives dry and empty and tired, and anxious about our future, our finances, our health, our relationships, our stuff? 

So often we mistake our lack for an unwillingness on His part to give, to fill, to meet, to restore.  But our lack is not because He is lacking in resources or love or willingness.    He is our Good Shepherd and came that we might have an abundant life, that we might daily, constantly receive from Him, like the sheep who daily has its needs met.

I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.  John 10:10

Sometimes, it's just about timing, like the lives of many of the biblical heroes.   We just need to grow and mature into the calling He has put on our lives.   And wait for Him to fulfil His promise to us.

But I wonder how often we miss out, sometimes for years, and some people miss out indefinitely, because we won't receive from Him.    We don't come to Him empty. 

Our glasses are often filled with something, something that takes up space that He could fill. 

I know that on this healing journey I've been on for nearly two years now, every time I've surrendered whatever He's asked for (unforgiveness, unbelief, fear, guilt, shame, independence, walls, etc), I've been able to receive from Him and it's been abundant and life-giving. 

But it takes surrender, and humility.   

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.   1 Peter 5:6.7

But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.   1 Peter 5:10

I've been thinking a lot lately about humility and what that actually is.   Seems to me humility is an essential element in us having our needs met by an all mighty, creative, powerful, abundant, loving God.  

What is humility?   From what I'm learning, it's seeing ourselves exactly as God sees us - no more, no less. 

His perspective about who we are and how we are is the truth.   And truth always precedes mercy.   It must.  Because otherwise we miss out on that grace that Jesus came full of, from the Father, to give to us.   

Jesus recognised the truth about a person and their situation, and told them that truth, as He gave them grace.  And if they acknowledged that, He was able to heal them, help them, restore them, fill them - from the Father's abundance.   

But those who couldn't or wouldn't humble themselves, they missed out.   

I will hear what God the Lord will speak, for He will speak peace to His people and to His saints; but let them not turn back to folly.

Surely His salvation is near to those who fear Him, that glory may dwell in our land.

Mercy and truth have met together; Righteousness and peace have kissed.

Truth shall spring out of the earth, and righteousness shall look down from heaven.

Yes, the Lord will give what is good; and our land will yield its increase.

Righteousness will go before Him, and shall make His footsteps our pathway.  Ps 85:8-13


What stops us receiving His grace? Refusing to humble ourselves before the Lord.   

What stops us receiving His forgiveness?  A glass holding onto unforgiveness.

What stops us receiving mercy? A glass holding onto judgement (of others and ourselves).

What stops us receiving His truth?  A glass holding onto lies and unbelief. 

What stops us receiving His wisdom and guidance? A glass holding onto its own wisdom.

What stops us receiving His peace? A glass holding onto worry and striving and busyness. 

What stops us receiving blessings? A glass holding onto its own resources. 

What stops us receiving His comfort? A glass holding onto fear and independence. 

What stops us receiving His correction and training?  A glass holding onto rebellion and resistance. 

May we not be like His people of old.  

I am the Lord your God, Who brought you out of the land of Egypt;

Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.  

But My people would not heed My voice,

And Israel would have none of Me.   Ps 81:10,11


Often times, it's this song that recalibrates me and brings me back to that place I need to be to receive.  I don't always know what I need, but I know I need to receive from His abundance.   


So teach my song to rise to You

When temptation comes my way

And when I cannot stand, I'll fall on You

Jesus, You're my hope and stay


Lord, I need You, oh, I need You

Every hour, I need You

My one defense, my righteousness

Oh God, how I need You

You're my one defense, my righteousness

Oh God, how I need You


8 comments:

  1. And behold now Martha's sons,
    in preparing for the feast,
    knowing they're to be the ones
    who will be considered least,
    but still they set the silverware,
    they make sure of each guestly grace
    with a heart of love and care,
    and then, standing, take their place
    that others see full benefit
    of the station they've prepared,
    and may thus take in all of it,
    the glory for which they have cared
    to put above what they believe,
    that Mary and her sons receive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lots of truth here - we need to recognize our own need and weakness before we can receive all the goodness God has for us. Visiting from FMF#12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kym. I need these constant reminders so I thought I'd share them. Gotta come with empty hands. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Annette. It was 3am inspiration when I couldn't sleep! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Good food for thought.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. And thanks for stopping by .

      Delete