Friday 9 June 2023

HIDDEN IN PLAIN SIGHT

I'm writing for Five Minute Friday and today's prompt is HIDDEN.

I'm cheating this week because it's been mentally taxing, and I'm running out of time to do all that needs doing before tomorrow's commitments.  Plus I've had an extra task given to me because someone is sick (doing the communion talk at church) so I'm feeling even more stretched.

So, here it is, a poem I wrote many years ago, when I was in a season of hiddenness with no end in sight.

Since then, I've learnt the blessings of being hidden in plain sight, back in a church family, but even more hidden in Him than ever.   



















THE ROSE

I saw in a garden, in a quiet, little place,

A rose red as scarlet, full of beauty and grace.

Why is it there?   For whom does it grow?

Does anyone see it, will anyone ever know?

 

Why has the Gardener planted it there?

Does anyone notice, will anyone care?

Is it enough for the Gardener to know

To enjoy its beauty, and see that it grows?

 

It seemed such a waste, for its beauty not to be seen

By the rest of the world,  like some hidden-away queen.

There in a garden, a beautiful gem,

Growing lovely and strong, but only for Him.

 

But then I saw Him, and saw the joy on His face,

As His rose grew there, in that secret place,

I saw His delight and the love in His eyes,

As He pruned and He adored His beloved prize.

 

This prize was a gift, redeemed by His Son,

Who’d hung on that cross, till the victory was won.

To His Father, He gave His life just for this,

To buy back this gem, and present it to Him.

 

Had it been bruised, was it limp and forlorn?

How much had He pruned it, to bring it back to its form?

How much love had He spent to bring it around,

To the way that it looked, to be the gem that I’d found.

 

There in the garden, in that quiet, secret place,

Under His gaze, receiving His grace,

For whom, Christ in His passion, paid the ultimate price,

It got me to wondering, it made me think twice.

 

Am I content to be, is it enough for me

To be a rose that only You will see?

There’s so much I could do for You, in some other place,

Is it enough for me to be here, under Your gaze?

 

Will I let You prune me, to bring me around,

Allow You to form me, like the gem that I found?

If nobody ever sees and nobody ever knows

Am I content, just to be, Your hidden, scarlet rose?

 

 

 

For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle;
In the secret place of His tent He will hide me;
He will lift me up on a rock.  Ps 27:5


I found this beautiful song, that summarises my journey up to this point, and into this new season of life. 


Oh the wisdom of the Father's heart

Oh the depths of Your unfailing love

Oh the comfort in my Saviour's arms
That I would run to where You called me
And I know the futureIs still unseenThe depths of Your wisdomNo mind conceivedBut I find my footingIn mysteryThe hidden thingsWhat's yet to beRevealed in me


7 comments:

  1. Kath, your poem is a gift. Just lovely.

    He never did get far in life,
    nor learned his lessons very well,
    nor built a home with a young wife
    before the day came that he fell
    in a bloody foreign field,
    for a cause he didn't ken
    that from the elders asked a yield
    of so many younger men
    who are now names upon a Wall,
    a place where placid tourists stroll,
    lives now gone beyond recall,
    but reflected there one sees each soul
    marked by man to do as bidden,
    to be in God's love safely hidden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no shame in taking a shortcut when you have such beautiful poetry to share.

    Make sure to rest in Christ in the coming days.

    FMF#3

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely beautiful poem, Kath! Thanks for sharing it with us! FMF #5

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes, in our busyness, looking to the past to help is a good thing. Today... a good thing. :) FMF16

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful poem and scripture at the end. Thank you for your words!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful poem, Kath. It touched my heart and made me teary.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete