Friday 4 August 2023

WHEN I CAN'T WATCH YOU

 I'm writing for Five Minute Friday and today's prompt word is WATCH


Lord, I watch You at work

and I am amazed


watch Your

sun rise 

in the morning sky

every

single

day

and with it

rise Your new mercies

and I am grateful














watch You turn a mess 

into  a message 

watch You turn chaos 

into order


watch You redeem

the wasted 

and torn

'dirty'

and turn them 

into someone

beautiful


watch You touch 

the impossible

and turn up with possible


watch You set up 

the timing 

of solutions 

before I even know 

there's a problem


watch You protect Your loved ones

from the enemy's schemes

and weapons,

even when they don't know

what they are


watch You provide

for Your people

in intricate ways,

that prove the depth

of Your knowledge 

and care

and wealth


watch You hold those 

who are hurting,

and heal deep wounds

that no one knew were there


watch You comfort the grieving

and the confused 

and the broken

with Your lovingkindness

and Your truth


watch You pursue

Your people, 

chase them down

with Your love

until You catch them,

again 

and again

and again


watch You do it,

again

and again

and again


I've watched You do it

so many times

and I'm still 

watching You do it


But there's so much 

I can't watch You do

because it's unseen,

because Your power

and Your tenderness

and Your healing work

need to be private

and hidden

and ministered

and whispered

in the secret place


When I can't see what You're doing, 

when I can't watch You at work,

will I still believe

that You are purposeful

and powerful 

and faithful?  


Must I watch You do it 

to believe? 


Or can I trust You

when I can't 

watch You,

when I can't see

what You're doing?



Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! 

How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!    Rom 11:33


............or it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.   Phil 2:13


Be still, and know that I am God..................  Ps 46:10


Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul, Like a weaned child with his mother......  Ps 131:2




Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father

There is no shadow of turning with Thee

Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not

As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be


Great is Thy faithfulness

Great is Thy faithfulness

Morning by morning new mercies I see

All I have needed Thy hand hath provided

Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me


4 comments:

  1. God is working all the time,
    and I see Him really clear,
    getting things done, really fine,
    excepting when He's drinking beer
    and has tossed Jesus the keys
    while He downs lagers at the pub,
    and Jesus rolls His eyes, 'Oh, please!
    You're kicking back, but here's the rub:
    the humies have messed up the place,
    the world's a real grungy disaster,
    and I really think the race
    to save more souls could sure go faster
    if we both would play our parts
    instead of playing endless darts.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will never run out of God's blessings and goodness to watch! Visiting from FMF#5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I really like this. My favorite line: Must I watch You do it

    to believe?

    My heart echoes your words, I believe; help my unbelief. I love the crescendo in this piece, visible steps of faith, the apex of His mystery, and then, in the midst of so many questions, still there is faith. Well done, writer.

    ReplyDelete