Saturday 21 May 2022

HOW DOES HE KNOW ME?

To know Him and to be known

Joining up with other writers from Five Minute Friday

Today's prompt word is know.


And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.  John 17:3

How do we really get to know Him and not just about Him?

When we read the Word, are we trying to accumulate knowledge, tick off the boxes, or really see Him?   

Jesus accused the Pharisees of searching the scriptures and missing Him.

But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe.  You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.   John 5:38-40

There He was, right in front of them, and they didn't even know who He was.  I don't want to be someone who's busy building their knowledge and platform, busy being religious but not known by Him. 

Who is this Jesus, who says that eternal life is to know Him and the Father?  To truly find out, to get beyond what others tell us and teach us about Him, we need to be Mary and be content at His feet and let Him know us.

How does He know me?

How does a gardener know His roses?  He gets up close, with those secateurs, bug spray, support posts, shovel, fertilizer, water, etc.














But what if the rose pulled away? 

I know it can't, but what if it could?

The rose can't but I can and I have.  

When He gets that close, will I let Him know me well or will I pull away and know Him from a safe distance?  Will I let Him see all my gnarls and thorns, dead leaves and dodgy branches?  Or will I try and impress Him with the shiny bits?

Do I just want a safe measure of Him or will I let Him know me well?  As I seek His face, and my sin and brokenness becomes more obvious (to me) in its reflection, I can pull away, or I can lean in.  

When You said, “Seek My face,”     my heart said to You, “Your face, Lord, I will seek.”.      Ps 27:8


Just as I am
You welcome me
With open arms
How can this be
My guilt is undone
My past is untethered
I leave it behind
And run to my Father










2 comments:

  1. I run to the Father again and again and again! Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we must run to the Father again and again. Thanks for stopping by, Cindy.

      Delete