Friday 13 May 2022

VISION, AT LAST

Writing again for Hopewriters in their five-day writing challenge.    

Today's prompt is VISION

Also joining the writers of Five Minute Friday, with the same prompt.  

A vision is an image - an image that can inspire us or overwhelm us.   

A vision is an image that we can work towards, but if it's not in line with God's vision for us, God's plan, God's purposes, then it becomes a graven image, and we make unhealthy sacrifices for it.  It becomes a graven image that we worship instead of God, oftentimes thinking that we're serving Him, when in fact we're not.     

The images that are carried about are burdensome, a burden for the weary.  Isa 46:1b

That distorted vision becomes something that lays a heavy burden on us and on those we love.  Oftentimes, it can be a vision handed down from another generation or some other significant person, but not in line with who God has called us to be.  

Does God have a specific calling for each of us?  Yes, He does.  

But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Israel:

“Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine.  Isa 43:1

EVERYONE who is called by My name, whom I have created for My glory;

I have formed him, yes, I have made him.”  Isa 43:7  

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.  Eph 2:10

The concept of workmanship is one of detail and careful creativity.   It implies a great deal of care and concern over the details, like the Potter with the clay, or the artist with His canvas.












Image courtesy of https://free.clipartof.com/details/2085-Free-Clipart-Of-Someone-At-A-Drawing-Board

God is not a cookie-cutter Creator, not at all.    We can see in creation how much He loves detail and variety.  Such a God CAN be trusted with the vision for our lives.

Will we let God decide the vision for our life?   He already has one, but will we let Him show us what it is and bring it to pass, for His glory?   And not just the vision for our lives, but the vision of us, how He sees us as individuals.  

Michelangelo, when asked how he carved his angel sculpture, said this:  "I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free".  Will we let God do the same - carve until He sets us free?   

Before we go and create a vision board, or surrender to the demands of one already made, or to the vision someone else has given us or has for us, will we come before Elohim, the ultimate Creator, and submit to His infinite wisdom about us?  

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.   And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.   Rom 12:1,2 

For months, God has been carving away to set this angel in the marble free, to transform this caterpillar into a butterfly, and I finally understand His vision for my life, and His vision of me.   Not at all what I expected, and it has come after a great deal of sculpting.  More on that in the next post.   

There are four other posts written this week, for the Hopewriters' challenge, that lead into this one. 


God I look to You, I wont be overwhelmed

Give me vision to see things like You do

God I look to You, You're where my help comes from

Give me wisdom, You know just what to do

God I look to You, and I wont be overwhelmed

Give me vision to see things like You do


12 comments:

  1. "We can see in creation how much He loves detail and variety. Such a God CAN be trusted with the vision for our lives." This quote really stood out and spoke to me. I'm an Enneagram One and tend to try to do things all on my own. I am thankful for a God I can trust with my vision. Ultimately, his vision is greater for me than anything I can dream up for myself.
    Visiting from FMF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Lauren. Sorry for my tardy response. I've been pretty sick this week. God is definitely trustworthy with our lives. I pray you grow into that revelation of His love for you.

      Delete
  2. What if the plans God has for me
    are those I would not prefer
    to experience, or even see?
    Is my heart impure?
    Can they somehow be returned
    (this thought doth make me nervous!),
    exchanged for that which I have yearned
    at Celestial Customer Service?
    It's a a conundrum, that is true,
    for it's far more than an ugly tie,
    and I really should not rue
    the vision of God's eye,
    but I'm stuck with that which I'm graced
    for the receipt has been misplaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for my tardy response, Andrew. I've been pretty sick this week. I love your poem. I've often wanted to find the receipt!!

      Delete
  3. When I "decided" that I would only write what God tells me to write, when He tells me to write it, my blog took on new life. It's so freeing to realize that if I am obedient God does the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Barb it is very freeing to realise that and yet we resist it so much. Thanks for sharing. Sorry for my tardy response. I've been pretty sick this week.

      Delete
  4. Love the image of God (like Michelangelo) carving away to set the angel free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love it too and the freedom that comes, but I really don't like the process. Thanks for your encouragement. Sorry for my tardy response. I've been pretty sick this week.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post. I really appreciate your words today. Blessings.
    Visiting today from FMF#23

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Paula. And thanks for your encouragement. Sorry for my tardy response. I've been pretty sick this week.

      Delete
  6. He has a vision for each one of us! Yes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes He certainly does which is life giving and life-changing when we finally discover it and walk in it. Sorry for my tardy response. I've been pretty sick this week.

      Delete