Wednesday 11 May 2022

REBUILDING MEANS REWORKING ROUTINES

Writing again for Hopewriters in their five-day writing challenge.    

Today's prompt is ROUTINE.  

When you're on a new path, you need new routines, routines that are driven by healthier priorities than you've had in the past.   

Priorities drive our routines, even when we don't realise it.   Mindsets drive our priorities, which in turn drive our routines, or lack of them.  

Before we put new routines in place, we should ask ourselves:   What are my priorities?  What are my mindsets?   What's stopping me from creating and having healthier/better routines? 

Routines are like the walls of a house.  We don't build new walls all the time, but once built, the walls in a house create boundaries for different rooms and therefore different uses.  Walls allow for safe places, for shelter, privacy, rest, productivity, learning, refreshment, cleansing, nourishment, etc.   

Too many walls, and a house is dysfunctional.  Too few walls, and a house is dysfunctional.













https://cliparting.com/free-construction-clipart-18721/


Just like it takes time to build a house, or renovate a house, it takes time to create new routines and practise new routines until they become established.   Give yourself the time.  Don't get overwhelmed, give up, or default and get stuck on the side of the road, just looking at that new path.       

How do we know what new routines we need?  

Where do we look for those routines, those guidelines, those boundaries, for our lives? 

Should we look to others?   Should we take on the routines others use?  That can be helpful, if we ask the wise, those who've gone before us.   But it can also be limiting and confusing and heavy.

Jesus spoke about a yoke that fits, and a yoke that works for us.   He promises to teach us the routines, the rhythms, we need for our lives, our individual lives - a hand-crafted yoke, made by the Master Carpenter Himself.   

"Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”   Matt 11:30  MSG

"For My way of carrying a load is easy and My load is not heavy.”   NLV

“For My yoke is wholesome (useful, good—not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne.”   AMPC

Will we listen to His invitation to learn from Him, to listen to Him, to be led by Him?

Will we submit to the boundaries He wants to place in our lives, for our good?   

Will we let Him challenge our mindsets, our priorities, and our idols, so we can live a life of healthy routines that nurture and nourish us, and those in our care?    

These are questions I'm asking myself as I walk a new pathway, questions He keeps putting before me, and questions that must be answered for real change to happen, rather than settling for defaults.   

“Come to ME, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.     Take MY yoke upon you and learn from ME, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For MY yoke is easy and MY burden is light.”  Matt 11:28-30 NKJV


I will build my life upon Your love

It is a firm foundation

I will put my trust in You alone

And I will not be shaken




No comments:

Post a Comment