Friday 29 April 2022

CHANGE IS NOT FAST


Joining with other writers today at Five Minute Friday, where we write on a theme word for five minutes.  

Today's theme word is FAST


"Faster, faster", said the pastor.

I remember saying that little rhyme to my older girls when I wanted them to get a move on with their chores or learning their lessons.

Sometimes it was because they were stuffing around, and sometimes it was because I was being impatient.

But God is not impatient with me when He wants me to work through something, when He asks for change, when He wants me to learn something. 

Perhaps that's because He knows that learning and change can't happen fast

It takes time to change, to be changed, to really be transformed

It takes time to learn new ways of thinking and seeing. 

It takes time to heal from deep wounds.

Caterpillars don't become butterflies easily or fast.

That's not to say He doesn't put the pressure on for change and growth.  He certainly knows how to do that.   
That pressure seems to me to be like the constant lapping of waves on the shore.















































Whenever I get close to the ocean, like I did last week, I am reminded that His love is constant, never ending, often powerful, but mostly gentle.  

Sometimes the waves come in fast and hit with force, but mostly it's just that gentle, constant pressure - lapping, lapping, lapping, like new mercies every day.

He doesn't demand fast results but like the waves, His love is persistent and patient and quietly powerful.


Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.  Lamentations 3:22, 23



Your Spirit is a gentleman
Standing at my hidden doors within
Where You wait for me to let You in
So You can set me free
Your Spirit is a wrecking ball
Tearing through my rebel walls
One by one I watch them fall
Til You are all I see

Oh... You're the life in me
Oh... You're the air I breathe
Oh... You're the change in me
You're the change in me


8 comments:

  1. We want change to happen fast,
    to be quick, sublime,
    but if it is to truly last
    we must give it time,
    just as paint needs time to dry
    after it is brushed;
    though it looks ready to the eye,
    it must not be touched
    lest fingerprints will mar the beauty
    that it offers, left alone;
    to let it be, that is your duty
    for you cannot with words atone
    for the blemish that you cause
    by choosing not to wait, to pause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great poem and great thoughts, Andrew. Am reminded again this time week that I must give it time if it is to truly last. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I love your take on the speed at which we live our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. I don't like that speed but I'm learning to be patient with myself ;)

      Delete
  3. Beautifully written and timely for what I needed to read at this time. - Tina Pizor FMF#13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina. I'm glad it was timely. It was timely for me too.

      Delete
  4. So true, change is not fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it isn't fast, Cindy. But God knows what He is doing. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete